The school is a community in which we encourage traditional values of courtesy and respect for one another. We encourage children to take a pride in caring for their environment and to value each other as individuals with respect for one another’s rights and property. Where children need a greater degree of support and control, we work in partnership with parents to find solutions and suitable strategies for improvement. Bullying and harassment are regarded as totally unacceptable and, even though instances are rare, we are constantly vigilant to ensure that behaviour is always of a high standard.
At Great Leighs School we are pleased to have established strong and varied links throughout the community.
- River Chelmer Partnership: This is a consortium of nine Primary schools and Chelmer Valley High School. The senior staff of each establishment meets on a regular basis and a variety of activities and opportunities are organised amongst these schools.
- We maintain good links with all local Secondary schools, meeting with their staff before and after the annual transfer of our Year Six pupils. We also accommodate students from local Secondary schools on Project Trident work experience.
- Great and Little Leighs Nursery Group: We have established a close relationship with the staff at the Nursery Group. The Headteacher and Foundation Stage teacher visit the Nursery as part of our induction process.
- Parent Volunteers: We are always keen to welcome parent volunteers into the school who help us in a variety of ways. The invaluable support provided enables us to extend the variety of experiences and support that we can offer groups of children.
- Village Links: Whenever possible we promote links in the immediate community such as Carol Singing at the Church, helping with the village clean up, holding a MacMillan Coffee Morning.
- Students: We have established links with local training providers and regularly offer placements to students as part of their training.
- Charities: Each year the school supports local, national and international charities.